Student Services – Higher Level Support Assistants
Student Services is at the heart of Standish Community High School and it is the hub for many students, in particular students with additional needs and our vulnerable students of our disadvantaged groups.
We have a team of four Higher Level Support Assistants (HLSAs) who oversee the management of Student Services and, more importantly, ensure these students aspire to great destinations and ambitions. Natalie, Claire, Anna and Jo, seek many opportunities to ensure students build confidence, improve self-esteem and aspire to be the best that they can be, by organising many different school trips as part of the students’ curriculum.
Every year group is considered, specific need is audited and then targeted year on year, and despite the vast amount of preparation to take students off site, this school team are not fazed by this and they keep the children’s opportunities at the forefront of their plans.
Some examples of trips and events the team have coordinated during this academic year are:
• Visit to the high ropes at Haigh Hall
• Visit to the Wriggly Roadshow
• Business and Enterprise competition at the DW Stadium
• ‘Just Join In’ sports event at Leigh Sports Village
• Autism Roadshow in Manchester
• ‘A Day in the Life of…’ at Manchester University
• Autopsy Live in Chorley
• Bush Craft and Orienteering at Haigh Hall
• Martin Mere Wetland Centre
• Mindcraft Intervention at Leigh Sports Village
• Skills North West
• Activities at Fir Tree Fisheries
• Visits to colleges in preparation for Key Stage 5
• Raising asirations at Leeds University
• America Ski trip
• French trip
The list is endless and continues to grow. What is evident is that no child is left behind in accessing school trips when an opportunity arises that is open and inclusive to all. The Higher Level Support Assistants and Student Services ensure a booking is made and that our more vulnerable students certainly have the opportunity to broaden their horizons beyond school.
It is because of their dedication and commitment to enriching children’s lives that Students Services at Standish Community High School fully deserve to be nominated for this award.