A member of the Mosaic Multi-Academy Trust – http://www.mosaicmat.net/
A Message from our Head of School
Standish Community High School is a thriving 11-16 school, set on an extensive and well-resourced campus in Standish, Wigan. We are a vibrant, caring and forward thinking school, where the achievement and personal development of each student go hand in hand.
At Standish Community High School we are committed to the highest levels of academic achievement, personal growth and lifelong fulfilment. Our motto ‘Be Outstanding’ captures our determination and belief that all of our students deserve the very best education and opportunities that enable them to flourish and grow in confidence and develop the skills and expertise, to become happy and well-rounded, successful individuals.
As Head of School, I am privileged to lead a team of skilful teachers and support staff who are highly professional and equally ambitious for all students, irrespective of background or ability. The impressive GCSE results in 2018 bear testament to the commitment of all members of staff who ‘go the extra mile’ with our students.
We offer an outstanding curriculum tailored to students’ needs. This is built around the development of knowledge, skills and understanding, which essentially prepares students for their chosen destinations: college, apprenticeship and indeed future employment.
In addition, we believe our curriculum also develops our students into caring and community-minded members of society who consider the interests of others as well as themselves.
We are a values driven school and these behaviours are a constant in what we expect of ourselves, our students and our families; ‘we care, we aim high, we achieve together and we lead the way.’ Over the five years, our students make considerable strides towards adulthood. We have three key aims for them:
- To become successful learners
- To become confident individuals
- To become responsible citizens
All the decisions taken at our school have these three aims in mind. We want our students to be multi-skilled and successful, problem-solvers, creative thinkers and adaptable learners.
We have high expectations of all our students. We expect them to arrive on time, dress smartly, behave respectfully and courteously, be able to take pride in their achievements and to learn and succeed. Therefore, our students are encouraged to take responsibility, develop their own leadership and contribute to the school and wider community as an integral part of their education and experiences. This is demonstrated through our thriving Student Council, PiXL Edge Programme, the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and the numerous leadership and ambassadorial roles that our students carry out, such as Senior Prefects, School Prefects, Peer Mentors, Maths Ambassadors, Sports Ambassadors and Maths Peer Mentors.
Standish Community High School is an outward facing school and we develop the highest standards of teaching and learning by sharing good practice with other secondary schools, local feeder primary schools and within the Mosaic Academy Trust. The professional development of our dedicated team of staff is given high priority, as we want all of our students to be inspired and engaged in their learning. The school is part of the SSAT – schools network and the PiXL group of schools (Partners in Excellence) which enable us to access the latest developments in education and to continuously reflect and improve standards.
I believe the exceptional levels of attainment and progress achieved each year at Standish Community High School is a clear demonstration of the thriving and successful professional relationships in school. It is the belief in the focus on ‘every student, every subject and every grade’ that lies at the heart of our ambitions to meet the individual needs of all our students.
On behalf of the governors, staff and students, may I thank you for you considering Standish Community High School as the school for your child’s education. I am very proud of all that we are achieving at Standish Community High School and look forward to welcoming you to our school.
If you would like to visit the school to gain a deeper insight into what the school has to offer, please feel free to contact the school reception.
Vision and Values
“My children have been very happy at Standish High. The staff see the students as individuals and care that each one achives the best they can in every subject.”
Standish Community High School’s vision is to have uncompromising aspirations for every individual and for our school to be an exceptional and inspirational community of lifelong learners
We seek to be recognised as a school that secures excellence in academic achievement, personal growth and professional development. We focus on the needs of the individual through a commitment to every student, every subject and every grade. We believe that there should be no ceiling on ambition and that potential can be realised in all our students, irrespective of background or ability. We aspire to place a deep sense of care and support at the heart of our school.
– To become successful learners
– To become confident individuals
– To become responsible citizens
We will achieve this through:
- A broad, balanced and ambitious curriculum that is tailored to the needs of all students’ irrespective of background or ability
- A curriculum that is built around the development of knowledge, skills and understanding, which essentially prepares students for their chosen destinations, college, apprenticeships and indeed, future employment
- Creating exciting and memorable experiences that give students access to a wide range of extra-curricular activities and cultural experiences inside and outside of the classroom
- Consistently high quality inspirational teaching and learning that enthuses and motivates students to love learning and develop an appetite to learn more
- A safe, secure, happy and caring environment in which staff and students feel valued
- Ensuring our students are equipped with the skills and growth mind-set to be able to adapt and succeed in an ever-changing environment
- Consistently high academic standards and expectations of every student based on good manners, mutual respect and self-responsibility
- Inspirational and accountable leadership at all levels that fosters a passion for learning in students and staff through support and challenge across all aspects of school life
“Standish is a welcoming, happy school for pupils and parents and encourages all the children to set their aspirations high. The dedication of the teaching staff, and fantastic organisation has allowed these targets to be met and often exceeded throughout the school, ensuring that pupils have a very bright future ahead of them.”