The final week of the half term saw the MFL department holding the first ever “Parents into Languages” event, for parents of Y7 pupils. Now that Y7 are settled into their best language after the taster sessions they did in the first full term here at SCHS, it was the turn of their parents to find out a bit more about Spanish and French so they can help with homework and preparation for tests. It was a very successful evening where families learnt more about different learning styles with Ms Simms-Crewe, as well as methods to help learning the vocabulary that is so important in MFL lessons. They then split into the French and Spanish groups to work on pronunciation tips with Miss Brass and Miss Foy, and found out how to use the websites that we use in lessons and for homework with Miss Dickinson and Mrs Morris.
Parents that were able to attend found it a useful session. Here are a few of the comments made at the event:
- “It gives me confidence and practical help to support my child.”
- “I can log on and learn with my daughter – really enjoyed it!”
- “Things have changed a lot since I was at school!”
- “Good insight into how my daughter learns and what tools they use.”
- “Lovely to see the children’s enthusiasm for languages!”